Kenneth Schneider wrote:
On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 11:49 -0400, Bob Kline wrote:
   1. disconnected the scanner
   2. logged on with my normal user account
   3. started YaST
   4. gave it the root password
   5. invoked the scanner configuration screen
   6. deleted the entry for the scanner and clicked Finish
   7. shut down YaST
   8. re-connected the scanner
   9. started YaST again
  10. gave it the root password
  11. invoked the scanner screen again
  12. YaST detected the scanner

At this point if the correct scanner is selected (I don't recall you
mentioning the brand/model)

It's a Canon CanoScan LiDE30
just click on finish.

Actually, the instructions on the left say "To set up a new scanner, choose the scanner from the list of detected scanners and press *Edit*" which is why I did just that.

And as it has been
suggested by someone else check that you don't have the permissions set
to strict in /etc/sysconfig/security.

I don't.

Also check /etc/sane.d/dll.conf
and make sure you model is uncommented (remove the # character from the
start of the line).

Yes, checked that, too.

--
Bob Kline