John are probably be too young to recall the first
Personal Computer was released in the form of PS2 -
with advanced architecture called micro channel.

The because the standard that all clone PC's were
designed around. In the early days Clone PC were always
boasting as being 100% IBM computable.

In those days all code was written to comply with an
IBM PC and later with the clones becoming 100% computable.

I those days we had PC DOS and there were separate
versions for a 8088 and 8086 processor.

MS-Dos became the most prolific version of DOS when the
Microsoft made significant advertising showing that
WINDOWS v2.X would only run IBM or PC DOS.

Yes they sell PC's
http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03004c/businesscenter/smallbusiness/us/en/product

and I have worked in IBM ships were that hardware
including the Mainframe was IBM - and IBM invented
token ring

Scott