TCP/IP I am sorry will go down in history as the most
insecure and worst collection of protocols ever conceived.

The origins of TCP/IP are well know as it was created
by the US Government and bell Labs in 1979. It was to
provide a vehicle that could network US Military
missile silos and internal comms.

It was abandoned because the protocol was subject to
potential abuse and not considered a secure comms protocol.

I think you need to have a look at the beginnings of
TCP/IP and realise why is was dumped.
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:CCf8DOW0v1QJ:csrc.nist.gov/publications/secpubs/ipext.ps+tcp/IP+fails+bell+labs&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=au&client=firefox-a

But so much money was spent on development, Microsoft
saw an instant market for its use. TCP/IP because of
its flexibility provided the vehicle for the world wide
web which was essentially meant to transfer
information. As the web grew the issues of innate
design flaws in the protocol needed patching up to
provide HTTP/SSL.

It is important to realise that the TCP/IP
fundamentally failed as a secure comms transport
because of the ability for an intermediate intercept
being not only able to join the a data stream from A -
B, but more over was capable of permitting a third
party to escalate their own authority, despite not
being a part of the communications from A - B.

In Australia we will NOT use TCP/IP for government or
direct Banking requirements. Thats why do don't worry
about massive amounts of data being hijacked. You will
recall the latest computer fraud in the USA where a
merchant lost over 200.000 customer credit details etc.

http://www.merchantaccountblog.com/archives/268
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=data+loss++in+us+merchant+in+2007&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

ALL government Mainframes and law enforcement use SNA
here and we are not about to dup it in the short term.
We don't have Data high jacking in this country as a
result.

With respect to token ring - Do not dismiss the
topology as it is capable of carrying many transport
layers. The issues of speed that have been tanked about
are wrong. Token ring submits 1 token at a time - It
does not use multiple tokens. The topology is dependant
on the speed it takes from 1 token to pass the logical
LAN with many Lans coming from different routers (not
MAU's). Speed issues have improved out of sight since
original design. The major issue early on was that the
cable that token ring requires is as expensive as hell,
Unshielded twisted pair is a cheap as chips.
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=token+ring+multiple+protocols&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Scott ;-)