On Sun, 2007-06-17 at 18:52 +0100, Philip Kisloff wrote:
> This is the nub of the problem. I don't think my system is behaving as
> expected and although I doubted myself, I'm beginning to believe there
> is bug somewhere other than the user!

  That does happen.  :)

> Before attach USB HDD
>
> ls /dev/evms/sd*
> ls: cannot access /dev/evms/sd*: No such file or directory
>
> ls /dev/sd*
> /dev/sda  /dev/sda1  /dev/sda2  /dev/sda3  /dev/sda5  /dev/sda6  /dev/sda7
>
> After attach USB HDD
>
> ls /dev/evms/sd*
> /dev/evms/sdb
>
> ls /dev/sd*
> /dev/sda  /dev/sda1  /dev/sda2  /dev/sda3  /dev/sda5  /dev/sda6  /dev/sda7
> /dev/sdb
>
> So the device used for external drive is /dev/sdb - but:
>
> fdisk /dev/sdb
> Unable to read /dev/sdb

  Curious did you try fdisk /dev/evms/sdb?

> In YAST, I can see a line /dev/evms/sdb. However, when click on create
> (with sdb line selected or not, it makes no difference), it does not
> give me an radio button option for /dev/sda or /dev/sdb, but goes
> straight to "Create a Primary Partition on /dev/sda".

  Bummer.  Both fdisk and YaST Partitioner require root permissions, so
this should not actually be a permissions problem, and with the drive
being seen you ought to be able to partition it.

> Now, the log says "SCSI error: return code = 0x10070000". When I google
> this string, its a known probelm that to me looks like a kernel error.
> It is clearly seen that the device is recognized and that it reads the
> basic information of the drive, but cannot access it further.
>
> Still puzzled...

  Yes, so am I.  If you had a recent copy of either Knoppix or Ubuntu
live disks, I'd suggest booting that and see if the partitioner worked
any better, or to hook it up to a Win2k + system and see if you could
get if partitioned that way.  If you can choose fat32 for the format
type and then you can use it between your linux systems and other
peoples Windows systems, until such time as this error gets resolved.
There apparently is an open ticket on the kernel site about this error,
so it ought to get fixed, it's a question of whether or not you want to
wait till then.

  BTW what kind (make/model) of case is the drive mounted in?