Pueblo Native wrote:
Joe Morris (NTM) wrote:
Pueblo Native wrote:
While some of these points may have more or less merit to them, the
first one is a no-starter:
"There is *already a standard ISO26300 named Open Document Format
(ODF)*: a dual standard adds cost to industry, government and citizens;"

Now, I use OO and love it, but I am not so arrogant as to assume that it
is or should be the ONLY standard out there.  Let a thousand flowers
bloom and let the consumer decide what they want.  As long as they have
that power, I'm happy even if they choose Microsoft's OXML format.
So as I understand your comment, when it comes to a standard, we should
all have our own?  Or even worse, Microsoft should decide what can and
cannot be in it?  IMO, this OXML is Microsoft's attempt to circumvent
the standard ODF as they cannot compete on a level playing field.  IMHO,
standards are no place for variety.  Let applications compete for how
well they support the standards, but with multiple targets, it only
ensures no (or all) will be hit.  I would rather adhere to one standard,
and as its limits are exposed, to amend the one standard rather than
have 100 so-called standards.  Already signed the petition.

Yeah, and I'm sure presenting an internet petition to a standards body
is going to have a whole lot of importance when ISO decides whether or
not to accept Microsoft's standard.  Why stop there?  Why not present
that petition to Microsoft.  I'm sure that once Ballmer sees all those
self-certifying "signatures" he's going to raise his hands in surrender
and announce that Office will only be using Open Document Format.
Technical specs aside, if Microsoft wants to push out its own standard,
well and good.  As long as consumers have the choice that's what it is
about.  Not if Microsoft wins or if OpenOffice wins.
It'll have more effect than doing nothing. Also, AIUI, there are significant implementation problems-- in that the standard MS proposes more or less says "the MS implementation is the definitive standard". Fine for MS. A problem for everyone else... essentially the same problem MS de facto "standards" usually cause. See
http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070117145745854
(and http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20070206145620473 and http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=2007020812133683 for updates)
Also interesting:
http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=2007022819130536