On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 07:46 -0400, Richard Creighton wrote:

> Carlos E. R. wrote:
> >
> > The Friday 2007-06-22 at 03:21 -0400, Richard Creighton wrote:
> >
> > > <thread history:   The ultimate goal here is to use the 'fake-raid'
> > > controller built-in to the ASUS motherboard with the 4 SATA drives that
> > > board can natively control *without* having to use a 5th IDE or external
> > > drive just to boot the system>
> >
> > The ultimate goal should be to have the best raid 5 possible with the
> > hardware you have ;-p
> >
> <snip>
>
> ...I did.   In fact, in order to get the 5th drive to run my tests, I
> had to cannibalize an older RedHat system that is 'wounded' because  I
> lost a cpu fan and damaged the cpu chip.   I was going to replace the MB
> in that system at some point but now, I may also be short a drive having
> had to use it in what I thought was ample hardware;  A new ASUS system
> MB with 4 SATA drives and with a so-called hardware raid controller
> built-in to the MB.   As it turns out, that controller is a 'fake-raid'
> which borrows cpu cycles but still, with the hardware I had, under
> Windoze, the configuration would have worked (demonstrated), but I
> refuse to contaminate my system with that OS and I believe anything
> Windoze can do, Linux can (or should) be able to do better.

You are right that linux _should_ be able to do that same things that
windows does. The problem is the  s l o w  adoption by the hardware
providers in providing *proper* drivers for their hardware, like ATI and
Nvidia are trying to do. This will not happen until they get together
with the kernel developers to come up with a solution.

--
Ken Schneider
UNIX  since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE  since 1998