On Sunday 24 June 2007 15:12, Peter Van Lone wrote:
> On 6/24/07, Randall R Schulz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Actually, I don't think the host-to-guest file sharing is done via
> > SMB / CIFS. When I view the Properties dialog in my current VMware
> > setup, it shows the type as "Network Drive" and the "File System:"
> > as "HGFS" (which I've never seen or heard of elsewhere, I don't
> > think). As far as I can tell, this is a VMware-proprietary file
> > system used solely for the purpose of host-to-guest file sharing.
>
> have you done anything special (other than install vmware tools and
> enable the option) to get the shared folder thing to work?

Not that I recall. I've had this setup in place for quite a while, now.
Of course, you have to configure the shared folders in the VM
configuration dialog _and_ enable them. But beyond just doing those
ordinary things, there's nothing special I recall having to do.

> I have never seen the shared folder inside a windows VM ... I've
> always just assumed that this might be "one of those things" that
> doesn't work with a linux host ...

No, it works fine for me. This is on a SuSE Linux 10.0 release. If I'm
not mistaken, this feature is not available in VMware Server (the $free
version). I have VMware Workstation (currently running version 5—I'm
waiting for a time to upgrade to version 6 that will maximize the
negative impact of any issues that might arise during the upgrade; it's
something I have a knack for...).

> Peter

Randall Schulz