Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Sunday 2007-06-24 at 21:38 +0200, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
>
>>> How can I tell Vmware not to change the video mode, or at least, restore
>>> the proper video mode, not the one /he/ thinks is the proper one?
>>>
>>> I'm using VMware-server-1.0.3-44356
>> maybe you can set the video frequnecy in the windows display settings?
>
> I tried, but I can't find where can I set that. I mean, I know where it
> should be, but it is not there: right click on the destop, properties
> dialog, configuration, advanced.  Adaptor: VMware SVGA II. Monitor:
> predetermined. I see no frequency drop list. Perhaps I should change the
> monitor, but which one should I choose? [...] I'll try "flat digital panel
> display"... ah, better, now I see "optimal" and "predetermined".
>
> Testing... ok, now windows full screen mode uses 56 Hz (I have it at
> 800*600), but on going back to linux vmware sets 70 Hz, which doesn't work
> well with my TFT.
>
> So, the virtual machine config is not the problem; the problem is that
> vmware thinks I want 70 Hz.
>

>> Nevertheless, I wonder, what you are doing (no offense intended).
>
>> If you are using a CRT, 70Hz is by todays standards, way to low for any
>> length of time sitting in front of this. You will do your eyes a favour
>> If you set it to (at least) 85Hz.
>
>> If you are using a TFT, then 60hz is what you need for optimum display
>> quality.
>
> That's the case, it is a cheap TFT and though it can display at 70 Hz it
> doesn't do so well in Linux: the image is uncentered, and autocenter
> pushes it half way out of the screen and somewhat fuzzy letters. I really
> need to use 60 Hz (and it is way easier on my eyes that my big CRT at
> 85Hz).
Yes this is the magic, even a cheap TFT imho surpasses even good CRT in
regard to eye ease.

> Perhaps the problem can be handled different: how to tell
> "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" to use a certain frequency instead of the higher one.
>
> [...]
>
> Yes, it works. I changed:
>
> Section "Monitor"       # --- Monitor Proview (TFT) ---
> #       VertRefresh     50-75
>
> to:
>
>         VertRefresh     50-65
>

> and it works. But it is a bug to me: vmware, or whatever function it uses,
> doesn't make a point of remembering the previous video setting :-(

Glad to hear that it's solved.

Still this seems to be somewhat strange to me.
For comparison, I try to reproduce your vmware thing:
I am also using a TFT at 60HZ on Linux "natively".

Now, when using vmware-server with Windows (XPpro), then switch to
fullscreen windows and then back to Linux, actually nothing happens!

Whatever I do and whatever Windows may think is has for a display, I am
at 60Hz throughout.

So maybe it is a problem with your graphics card and TFT combination.

kind regards
Eberhard