On 2007/07/09 09:46 (GMT+0200) Clayton apparently typed:

>> Why do you think so? It has a whole bunch of different CD you need to choose
>> from according to which desktop environment you want (Gnome, KDE, XFCE), and
>> whether your installation will require advanced install features.
>
> And SUSE doesn't have several CDs and/or DVDs?  You're not keeping up
> with what is happening in opensuse-factory I take it  :-)  In addition

I was going by what comes in the latest available retail box, and I did mean
per architecture. Factory I install via HTTP. ;-)

> to the usual DVD and 6 CD set (for 10.3), there is also now a KDE
> specific install CD, and a Gnome specific install CD.  Kinda sounds
> like Kubuntu and Ubuntu to me.  It makes sense.  Why download Gnome if

It makes for confusion among nOObs trying to make an intelligent choice. In
*buntu there aren't just architectures and desktops to choose from, but also
certain other installation options are only available in either the
standards or the alternates but not both.

> you don't like it (ie the entire 6CD or DVD set) and all you need is
> the 1 CD KDE (or Gnome) version (or vice versa) and a connection to
> the Repositories?

Actually once you have an OS installed on a system, you don't need anything
but an installation kernel, installation initrd, and something that can load
them - no iso or CD or DVD is necessary, so I rarely have need to download
or burn them.

>> Ubuntu is a Debian, which makes it quite a bit different from SUSE.

> It's not that different.  OK, based on deb not rpm, but... so?  What
> difference does that make in the proverbial grand scheme of things?

While that's certainly a consequential difference, it's hardly the only
thing I was referring to. Debians dump everything but single into runlevel
2, which can make a number of otherwise simple troubleshooting and
configuration tasks more vexing. You can't drop from runlevel 5 to runlevel
3 to halt a broken X. You can't drop to runlevel 2 to kill all networking.
You can't feed a grub prompt a 3 to prevent X from starting on boot. Try and
figure out what they substitute for chkconfig. I haven't found anything yet.

> (other than that some files are not in the places you may be used to..
> eg apache is not in /srv/www, it's in /var for some reason).

Duh!

> Once it's installed, on a day to day use basis it's still Linux... it
> does all the same things as openSUSE.  It even does some things far
> better - repository package management being the number one thing that
> Ubuntu really does well... and where openSUSE lags far behind. (my
> opinion of course, but also why several friends of mine I converted
> over to SUSE over the years have dropped SUSE in favor of Ubuntu for
> desktop use)

How do their users use a command line to locate a particular package they
don't know the name of? With such helpful repository directory names as 1,
b, 3, d, etc. it can take quite a bit of time to hunt down and fetch a
package compared to looking in distribution/version/repo/type/suse/arch/
with mc ftp.

> One thing really worth noting about Ubuntu (and it's variations) is,
> that it really suffers for a lack of a decent system config tool like
> YAST.  We like to complain about YAST until we're blue in the face,
> but once it's gone, you suddenly discover how much you used YAST, or
> at least appreciated YAST.

Not an inconsequential reason why I replied to the OP. Buntu's Adept GUI
package manager should be named inept, and smart isn't a characteristic I'd
apply to its Smart GUI.

> I've triple booted and more on my computer.  It works fine - the

All mine except a few old clunkers are multiboot. Most have more than 2 OS
installed, many more than 6.

> Ubuntu installer will find the other OSes installed and create GRUB
> entries for them.  Just be aware that the last Linux installed will
> (usually) be the one who supplies the boot manager (GRUB usually).  If

That's an unfortunate circumstance of most Linux installers, which assume
unnecessarily that the best place to install a boot loader is the MBR.

> you prefer the openSUSE GRUB, boot to openSUSE, edit GRUB to add in
> the details for the new install, and rewrite openSUSE's GRUB in place
> of the new Linux install's boot manager.

Unlike some installers, at least Buntu's will permit you to install no
bootloader. Once you've got Grub installed in a suitable place (an active
primary partition), there should be no need for anything but you to touch
it, and only menu.lst at that.
--
"All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching,
rebuking, correcting, and training in righteoousness."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409