On Wednesday 11 July 2007 21:57, John Andersen wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2007, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > On Monday 09 July 2007 03:11, John Andersen wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually the later kernels have this restored already.
> > > And I can attest that it works.
> >
> > Could you tell me either the version at which USBDEVFS was
> > reinstated or the version you're running that has it (or both, if
> > you know both and they're actually different). Alternately, can you
> > tell me if kernel 2.6.18.8-0.3-bigsmp has it?
> >

> > Thanks.
> >
> > Randall Schulz
>
> Just in case that complex question was directed at me:...

Yes.

> Uname -ar reports:
> Linux gotroot 2.6.18.8-0.2-default #1 SMP Fri Mar 23 19:38:30 UTC 2007 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I also have this line in my /etc/fstab to make sure usb stuff gets
> loaded at boot time:
>
> usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs
> rw,devgid=100,devmode=0640,busgid=100,busmode=0550,listgid=100,listmo de=0440
> 0 0

I think this must be the piece my friend is missing, 'cause even after
upgrading his system's kernel, no USB devices were showing up for
VMware guests. I'll bring this to his attention.

> (above three lines are all one line)
>
> This kernel was produced by Andres Jaeger of SuSE while fixing a boot
> loader problem
> and he threw in the usbfs restoration as a side incentive to get
> people to test the
> boot loader.

I've read (hereabouts) that the kernel released via software update from
SUSE / Novell included USBDEVFS.

Thanks.

Randall Schulz