Stuart Murray-Smith escribió:
> Greetings list
>
> openSuSe 10.2
> MySQL 5.0.26
>
> How can I establish what the standard encryption agent(s) is (are) for
> MySQL?
>
> SELECT ENCRYPT('password'), PASSWORD('password'), MD5('password');
>
> generates a different encrypted password to what:

you are seriuolsy confused, this is the expected behaviuor.

ENCRYPT calls crypt() system call

PASSWORD is mysql specific way to encrypt password suitable for
encrypting MySQL passwords for storage in the "Password" column of the
user grant table. ( do not use this in your app)

MD5 quite obviuoly uses MD5

if you are coming from older mysql versions, and you used PASSWORD() to
"encrypt" your passwords in newver mysql versions you must use
OLD_PASSWORD() to obtain the same old result. this function is
deprecated and I suggets you convert your passwords (with the password
reminder form) ASAP because it may go away at anytime soon.