[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Okay, I've used the "init 0" for shutting down for a week now. Well, it
can always shut my machine down. But some of the time, the hard drive
apparently wasn't unmounted because occasionally when I turn on the
machine, it always replayed transactions. There's about 200 transaction
replayed when this happens. So, I am worried that eventually it will
corrupt my Linux. Is there any other way to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Hans defaber said:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi, I've installed a new SuSE 10.1 with some additional packages that
I've
downloaded from the net. Now I can't shut down. I think it was all
because
I installed fuse 2.6.5 and ntfs-3g 1.516. Even in startup the kernel is
marked tainted because of the fuse package. How can I fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Fare thee well,
Bawenang R. P. P.

----------------
ERROR: Brain not found. Please insert a new brain!

“Do nothing which is of no use.” - Miyamoto Musashi.

"I live for my dream. And my dream is to live my life to the fullest."

Try to open a terminal window.
login as root (su , password)
Then type
init 0

Does that work ?

Succes, Hans

The shutdown procedure is not much more than a'n init 0 , the init program is the workhorse of the startup and shutdown.

If you look at the shutdown messages on your screen, you should see at the end
the unmount messages of all disks.

I think your real problem is a program that should be shut down first before
the systemshutdown.
Mostly database applications have a separate shutdown.