Fajar Priyanto wrote:
Hello all,
My old and loyal desktop PC at home got hosed recently after years of servicing my - sometimes "brutal" - experiments on it. It's a Gigabyte GA7xx something (VIA chipset) with AMD Athlon 1GHz.

I'm looking for a replacement. Something very economical in terms of pricing and it should be very friendly with Linux. And as a "nice to have" feature is preferably the display adapter will be able to run Beryl.

I had a GA-7ZXE which gave me years of joy (it's still ticking over merrily in a family PC. I decided to replace it because it lacked USB2, firewire, onboard network and SATA, and I had a SoundBlaster live, so trying to add everything I needed I was running out of PCI slots.

After a brief period of frustration with the top-of-the-line ASUS (A7-V880 or something like that), I got GA-7VT600-L which gave me all the features and everything worked 100% in Linux.

http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1817&ModelName=GA-7VT600-L

It doesn't, however, have onboard graphics. There are pretty much two options as far as onboard graphics on Socket A boards - VIA (really S3 savage, afaik) or SiS. I'm not sure if they will be fast enough. And from what I've seen SiS hardware 3D is pretty poor under Linux.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200022+1070907493&name=Socket+A+(Socket+462)

If you can get a board with an AGP slot, and an entry level nVidia or ATi card, it would probably be a better solution.