Bill Anderson wrote:

James Knott wrote:
Vince L wrote:
On Monday 23 July 2007 08:33, Matthew Stringer wrote:
Can't you just do away with the partition? Unmount it move everything to
the root filesystem but still under /boot, re-install grub & use Fdisk
to change the boot flag over. Linux has not needed /boot on a separate
partition for a long time now and using symlinks is messy.

Matthew
This assumes that / is on a primary partition. If not, it is no go.
Since when does / have to be on a primary partition?  I have one system
where it's on a LVM and another, RAID.

Without involving LVM or RAID, I do not have any root partitions as a primary partition. The only primary partitions are /boot and swap. All root partitions are extended partitions, one for each distro with which I work. I have never had boot problems. I have had to develop my own system for managing between six and nine bootable kernels.

I suspect you could use logical partitions for everything. This reminds me of dual booting OS/2 and Windows. Windows had to be installed on a primary partition (C:), but OS/2 could be anywhere, bearing in mind BIOS boot limits. Also, with the OS/2 boot manager, only it had to be within the BIOS boot limit. The actual OS, when started from boot manager, could ignore those limits.