Hi,

I'm new to linux and this evening attempted to print some of my
photos...

First I tried the newest Picasa under my openSUSE 10.0, but it
resulted _draft_ quality _B/W_ prints, even that 1200 DPI has been
setup generally for our HP DeskJet 5940.
Picasa's template is generally OK, because could place easily e.g.
four of my photos on a single A4 page, but the draft quality I
couldn't overcome. Of course I tried the options (theoretically)
resulting better quality printouts and also checked the printer's
default settings, which was normal quality/color.
Therefore have no idea, how to work around this, because Picasa has
quite limited print setup options under Linux and search at Google
didn't help at all.

At the end we managed to print the above four images via an
OpenOffice.org template my boyfriend prepared few months ago and like
that we succeeded. With Gimp I had bad experience in the past, so
this way was not tried now.

Would you give me please any hints/ideas on your preference when
printing photos; I would be quite interested to hear some possibili-
ties.

Thank you,
Agnes