On 07/28/2007 12:20 AM, Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
> My eth1 setup includes a passphrase and ESSID for my current wireless
> router.  I expect to take my laptop "on the road" and use it in
> various places which provide WiFi.  If the identifying name of the
> network is not apparent, how do I set it up?
Ask the network manager.  If it is hidden, that is exactly why.  They
WANT to control access.  Access to such a network should be seen as a
privilege and not a right.
> The "connect to other wireless network" option on the knetwork manager
> requires that I fill in an ESSID. So, if I can't get the name, what do
> I do?

Not connect.  Unless you are given the info, you would not be allowed to
connect to those networks.  That said, most publicly accessible wireless
networks are setup to connect easily and WILL show up in the list of
available networks.

--
Joe Morris