2007/7/30, Chris Arnold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> OK, i have partitioned the array and have formatted the physical drive. I
> used these commands:
>
> fdsik /dev/sdb
> -n
> -p
> -w
> Then to formatt i used:
> mkfs.reiserfs -f /dev/sdb
>
> Now to copy over the existing /opt folders and files, i am trying to use:
> cp /opt/* /dev/sdb/opt and get "not a directory".
> What is the correct way to copy over the existing /opt folder and files
> as to not break anything? Symbolic links and what not, i do not want to
> break anything.

It doesn't work that way, you must mount the filesystem. Try this procedure:
- mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
- tar cf - /opt | tar xvf - -C /mnt

Once you check everything was copied as it should (you better do a backup also):
- umount /mnt
- rm -rf /opt/*
- add "/dev/sdb1        /opt   reiserfs    acl,user_xattr 1 2" to /etc/fstab
- mount -a

PS: Did the mkfs.reiserfs command succeed?, i think you should have
given /dev/sdb1 as the parameter (not just sdb)

Ciro