On Monday 06 August 2007 01:30:08 am Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When Linux is mentioned the word, and possibly its biggest benefit,
> repositories, also comes into play. I understand a repository as a
> software update store, where, once updates have been released and
> tested, are placed i.e. similar to TUCOWS for the other operating system.
>
> It  is my understanding that some of the repositories carry all the
> updates to all the packages, whilst some only keep security fixes and
> critical updates.
>
> I only use rpm updates that Yast picks up as it enables the resolution
> of package dependencies in a GUI format before the update tries to take
> place.
>
> I am currently using the skynet.be mirror for updates and recently saw a
> post about source repositories.
>
> ftp://ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/update/10.2
> http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/ftp.suse.com/suse/update/10.2/

I would use one update repository and better is to use mirror on skynet.be. 

> http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/ftp.opensuse.org/opensuse/distribution/10.2/repo/n
>on-oss/
> http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/ftp.opensuse.org/opensuse/distribution/10.2/repo/o
>ss/
>
>
> Two of the repositories that were of interest mentioned were:
> http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/src-oss/suse
> http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/src-non-oss/suse
>
> How do these repositories differ from Skynet ones? Are the less/more
> complete than the one I am currently using or are the skynet ones merely
> a mirror?

The /repo/non-oss/ and /repo/oss/ are binaries that you can run after 
installation, while /repo/src-non-oss/ and /repo/src-oss/ are source code 
packaged in rpm that has to be compiled first. 

> Should I add the new mentioned repos? 

No need for now. 
In the moment source code packages are not even presented in the YaST, so 
including repositories will change nothing. YaST will ignore them. 

> Would they conflict with the 
> current ones as I see the folder structure is almost identical? 

No.

> When I 
> browse to the location I see a whole stack of rpms, but I assume these
> are src rpms not package rpms and that Yast would not be able to install
> an update to an rpm package from a rpm src package.

See above. 

> Help required in understanding the role of repos and how to use
> them/determine if one is better than another.

Mirrors are usually better than original site as they mostly contain all 
packages for PC computers (i386 in directory tree) and mostly they are faster 
than original due to lesser load. 

> What if a repo isn't available, due to network problems, can another
> repo be added and used as a fallback repo?

Yes, but search "mirrors" on htpp://en.opensuse.org there is plenty of 
explanations. 

-- 
Regards,
Rajko.
-- 
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to