On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 11:42 +0000, Hans van der Merwe wrote:
> I'm just "preaching" caution - just as I don't tell people to use
> Linux
> because its free, money wise or as in freedom, most of them are
> skeptical about "free stuff", and the other really not care about tech
> freedom (wrongly so, but that is a diff fight).
>
> I believe that the free, freedom etc is to the Dells, HPs and IBMs,

Last week I got quotes for Dell Notebooks. I wanted them without OS or
Linux on them. I requested them to quote with Vista (some now
alternatively with XP) and without OS. They said it makes no difference,
it costs the same with or without Vista. So the user is locked in by the
vendor to Vista, penalising the other OS users.

>  not
> the user - the user, in an ideal world, should not even know what a OS
> is (as MS have already done with 80% of the users out there).  Dell
> etc should care if some of their revenue go to MS - they are starting
> to, they should make the difference.  A user revolt will not happen.

because they are forced to buy M$ (don't think the OS costs are not
calculated into the price - they do not give away anything), and if not,
get penalised.

:-)
Al