Tero Pesonen wrote:

Not necessarily. I believe there were macro viruses for MS Excell

in approx 25 years of computing, I _never_ had data corrupted by a virus, even on windows.

This don't mean I never got virus, but I always see it before any damage done. I have seen many computer destructed by visuses, of course, even very recently.

it's only a matter of caution. A true virus needs to be executed to replicate. I never use an app of unknow origin, if not doublechecked by a good anti-virus. I _never_ open a word or exel file from unknown origin, in case of doubt I run an anti-virus on them before opening (and got many viruses like this).

Now I open word docs with openoffice, I don't think there is (yet) a virus able to run like this. of course autorun is always unset.

I usually open docs with wordpad in place of word (in fact I stopped using ms word many years ago, with word 97).

last rerally problematic virus I had was on a floppy... and no data damaged.

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://gourmandises.orangeblog.fr/