Carlos E. R. wrote:

The Tuesday 2007-08-07 at 17:38 +0200, jdd wrote:

in approx 25 years of computing, I _never_ had data corrupted by a virus, even
on windows.

Me neither.

Of course, I have been using Linux for close to the last then years, but even before that I caught viruses before they did unrepairable damage.

This don't mean I never got virus, but I always see it before any damage done.
I have seen many computer destructed by visuses, of course, even very
recently.

I even had to clean executables using debug - before antiviruses were handy... Or write my own antivirus software.

In the over thirty years I've been using computers, I've only once experienced a virus on my own computer. It was at work and I accidentlally left an infected floppy in my drive when I booted the computer. The IBMAV program I was using quickly found and removed it. Other than that one instance, I've never seen an infected OS/2 system, even though I used to do OS/2 and AV software support at IBM Canada. I haven't had any problems with a Linux system. On the other hand, I've seen many Windows computers so badly infected that the only recourse was to wipe the disk clean and reinstall. At one company that I supported, re-imaging was a common practice.