Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
>> Imho, for a desktop nowadays, it comes very close to be the most
>> important consideration since it is the machine's noisiness that either
>> supports or distracts  my mental attention.
>
> Doesn't it (mostly) come down to CPU heat production? (And btw. which 64 bit
> CPU is using least power)?

CPU heat production:
This is only part of the problem and generally the easiest one to
rectify. The other major noise source is usually your GPU(s) and there
is also your powersupply-fan(s) and eventually your harddisk(s) and
optical drive(s)

CPU power consumption
>From hardware magazines I think I understand that AMD currently only has
a slight power consumption advantage when the machine is idle. At any
other machine state, Intel consumes less.

Well, imho it is debatable, whether a desktop does spend by far most of
its life idling around.
At the same time, AMD currently cannot beat Intel performancewise.

Now, as I understand it, within a range the lowest model usually
consumes the least power and there are "special versions" of cpus around
that consume even less.

For me privately, I always go for AMD nevertheless since they are
cheaper and performance is not an issue for me these days, since all of
them have far more horsepower than I can possibly use..

>From my perspective, A good reading on the subject could be this:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/

If you speak german, I would definitely recommend silenthardware.de

kind regards
Eberhard