On 2007/08/10 10:38 (GMT-0400) Jonathan Arnold apparently typed:

> Afan Pasalic wrote:

>> I just bought internal 500GB ATA HD, 7200, 100MB/s for $99.
>> am I able to use it on PIII, 677MHz, 512MB RAM, openSuse 10.2? ot, it's
>> to big?

> Jumping in here late, but for my older machine, I just bought a cheap
> IDE card and it worked like a champ. Even if it sees it, it probably won't
> be UDMA-100, so it'll be really slow.

It won't be slow enough for most people to notice. PIII 667 has a 133 MHz FSB
with at least UDMA66, possibly UDMA-100. Most UDMA-100 devices can't saturate
the bus, so the difference between UDMA66 and UDMA-100 is generally hard to
detect, and in any event is not "really slow" or even "slow". "Slow" is
UDMA33 or worse. OTOH, on a machine old enough to be running a 667 class CPU
the BIOS might not be able to handle it, in which case either it would have
to be a non-boot device, or else connected to an add-in card.
--
"   It is impossible to rightly govern the world without
God and the Bible."                    George Washington

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409