On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 13:42 -0400, James Knott wrote:

> A boot sector virus is executed every time the computer is booted.  Any
> OS can be vulnerable to a boot sector virus during booting, because the
> OS is not running at that time.  The only protection is what's provided
> with the BIOS.  On the other hand computers running protected operating
> systems, such as Linux or OS/2 cannot be infected when running, as they
> have mechanisms to prevent it.  DOS and DOS based versions of Windows
> (3.1, 95, 98 etc) do not have such protection and can be infected
> whenever the virus is run.

MY PII was thus infected because I multi boot with Win311 for legacy
apps.  Rewriting the MBR from SuSE8.2 at the time did not cure the
problem.  It was a harmless variant of a known virus which I defeated
with Fprot and hard rebooting.  At the time using FProt in the
recommended way found the virus in memory and therefore refused to clean
the infection.  I beat this problem by telling FProt to ignore memory
and to do the clean then I immediately rebooted.  I did this three times
then ran FProt in the usual way and no virus was found.  From then on I
made Linux the default boot and load data from media therein.

To protect the anti virus software I kept it zipped in a location not in
the PATH and used a script to break out and run the program in a
directory I make up at that time.  There is not much you can do with
such legacy systems but the exorcise in paranoia is healthy.
--