Adolph Weidanz wrote:
> Hey all...
>
> This might be one of those that just can't be done...
>
> Ok... I have a DLink 451 (HSDPA hotspot wireless router) that I have
> setup as 192.168.1.1 w/ DHCP off (all the computers have set IPs). I
> also have a ancient linksys befw11s4 wireless. In a perfect world I want
> to have the linksys act as an AP for the printer (yes it is networkable)
> and the dlink connect to the world. All of the computers would connect
> via the dlink, but be able to print by sending via cups to 192.168.1.1/2
>
> Now I found a couple of ideas on how to do it: I set the linksys to
> 192.168.1.2, both the routers are on channel 1. One place I've run into
> problems is that the howtos I've found all say that the essid's have to
> be different. So say, the dlink's essid is route1, and linksys is
> route2. The problem with this is the network card setup requires an
> essid in order to use WEP. If I use route1 then it can't see route2.
>
> The easiest way to do it is to buy a second wireless card and set the
> linksys as 192.168.0.1, but I would rather get it to work without the
> this way.
>
> Any ideas be appreciated...

What I am not clear about is whether the other machines have wi-fi or
cable networking ...

Unfortunately AP are low level connection points and normal IP based
routing techniques cannot be used with the APs themselves.

If you choose to run two distinct wireless networks and you need one
machine to connect to both you will need two wi-fi cards on that
machine. To avoid the two interfering with each other you need them to
be on two channels at least 2 apart (i.e. 5 7 , 6 8) but preferably
further, it is definitely not a good idea to have them on the same
channel. BTW Check your countries wireless regulation a couple of EU
states have some restrictions on what channels can be used.

You do not state the make of printer or the distance between printer and
the box you wish to connect to. Some printer have Bluetooth support or
can be upgraded with a WiFi card this may provide an alternative option.

It is possibled to setup a wireless bridge but this is usually only
possible with two devices from the same manufacturer which have support
for that manufacturers bridging technology (I am running a netgear wifi
bridge based setup myself). You will probably be able to do this if one
or other of the manufacturers of your current APs supplies an AP with
bridge support that can be connected to by cable to the other
manufacturers router.

Finally, there are wireless print servers available.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup