On Monday 03 September 2007 20:40, Hans Linux wrote:
> You r right! I reinstalled virtualbox using its binary and having
> windows xp running as guest now. Great software, much better than vmware
> which is not stable and slow :P
>
> one thing remain is USB. According to Alexey opensuse guide, we have to
> uninstall virtualbox first,  recompile the kernel (which version not
> stated) and reinstall virtualbox. do i have to follow those step to
> enable my usb? I am kind of reluctant to do that. I have my kernel
> updated to 2.6.18.8-0.3-default already, having virtualbox running, and
> now i hv to reinstall everything?

The problem is kernel itself that has no USB support, so what you have to do
is to configure kernel with USB support enabled, but than the kernel module
vboxdrv has to be recompiled too. The current kernel is 2.6.18.8-0.5-default.
You should update that and sources first. If you have problem to boot with
default boot option, use new entry instead, and post that here.

The rest should be explained, but right now I'm going to try this one:
  http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/
  home:/dirkmueller/openSUSE_10.2/i586/
  virtualbox-20070822-8.1.i586.rpm
and
  virtualbox-kmp-default-20070822_2.6.18.2_34-8.1.i586.rpm
Which so far works with small glitch, it doesn't list iso files and I had to
paste and copy the name using another file manager.

BTW,
  VirtualBox-kmp-default-1.4.0_2.6.18.2_34-20.1.i586.rpm
has an error in post install script and the only way to get rid of it is
  rpm -e --noscripts VirtualBox-kmp-default
but it can easily remove installed vboxdrv.

--
Regards,
Rajko.