RTF wrote:
>> Greetings all.  I'm preparing to install OpenSuse 10.2 and have been
>> browsing the web reading various installation instructions (just to
>> make sure I don't go an overwrite my MBR or something else stupid) and
>> came across the following...
>>
>> Quote -
>> You will see now a summary of the Installation Settings, which comes
>> in a Standard (default) and Expert (for power users) view.  I will
>> suggest using an empty hard drive for this installation;  that means
>> no other operating system on it, ok?  The partition process is
>> automatic and it will erase all your data from the selected hard drive.
>> Unquote -
>>
>> I have my hard drive split into two different partitions by Partition
>> Magic.  Can I safely assume I may substitute "selected partition" for
>> "selected hard drive" above?  I've never run into such a draconian
>> warning with any other Linux distribution and I have installed several
>> over the years, always with a dual boot arrangement with Windows.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Rob
> Well...I attempted to install once again tonight and was confronted with
> the following Installation Summary:
>
> * Delete logical volume /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 (68.8 gb)
> *Delete logical volume /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 (1.9 gb)
> *Remove volume group VolGroup00
> *Delete partition /dev/sda2 (101.9 gb)
> *Delete partition /dev/sda3 (70.8 gb
> *Delete partition /dev/sda5(? hard to read on the screen) (70.8 gb)
>
> Needless to say, I did not procede further with the installation.  :(

That's what it will do by default. But if you just click on the Partition
selection, you can select from a bunch of different option, including picking
whatever partition you want.

And yeah, pick an empty partition, not necessarily an empty hard drive, is the
way to go.

My favorite online installation guide is here:

http://www.opensuse.computerlanguages.org/install.php

And be sure to check out Hacking 10.2 here:

http://www.softwareinreview.com/cms/content/view/60/

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
LinuxBrainDump, Linux HowTo's and Tutorials:

Daemon Dancing in the Dark, an Open OS weblog:
    http://freebsd.amazingdev.com/blog/