ken wrote:
Fri, 06 Jul 2007, by [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

 I need a simple program which counts the elapsed time starting from
a given point. Could you give some suggestions?

Another way would be to create one file at the start time and another at
the end time, then calculate the differences in the creation times, e.g.,

touch startfile
(time marches on)
touch finishfile

#output files' mod times in seconds since Epoch's begin; pipe to bc
echo $(stat -c %Y finishfile)-$(stat -c %Y startfile) | bc

#clean up
rm startfile finishfile

That's what the damned time command is for, you twit.

Compared to using the time command, that's just a f***ing stupid
waste of resources, kernal I/O, and it's problematic to boot (if
the computer is rebooted during the job, then the start file is
left to litter the filesystem.  With apologies to South Park:
"dubbmb-dumb-dumb-dumb-dummb-dummb-dummb")

Just because you "can" do something doesn't mean it's advisable,
or even worth considering for more than, oh, 1/10th of a second.

Linux is not Windows, so kindly quit offering solutions which are most
appropriate for that horrific abortion of an O/S.

The above could go into a script with prompts or you could play around
with glade, a nifty GUI front-end builder.  Building GUI front-ends
isn't that tough on Tk either.