On Sep 26 2007 11:42, James Knott wrote:

>> Well it does want a driver, and that is reasonable. I for my part
>> prefer the CUPS Postscript one available somewhere at the cups site;
>> a package that does both b/w and color is at [2]
>>
>> [2] http://jengelh.hopto.org/f/cups6c.zip
>>
> I have never had to download a driver, postscript or other, to talk
> to CUPS.  I simply configure CUPS for the printer and then point
> the Windows computer at the CUPS server.  However, you may need a
> printer driver for Windows, if the printer is not already
> supported.

Well well, hold it. Sometimes there is a reason you want Windows
to send Postscript instead of raster or printer-specific command (aka
"raw").. which is what most printer drivers actually do. For example,
if you want job logging[1] or let CUPS do the rasterization, or...

[1] gv /var/spool/cups/d01234-001
yup, that's all and you know what your users printed. :)