Fred,

        I think it is the 'uucp' group. If that fails, try the 'sys' group.
My modem is /dev/ttyS1. Here is the way my serial ports are owned:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/david # ll /dev/ttyS*
crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 64 2007-09-25 16:48 /dev/ttyS0
crw-------  1 uucp uucp 4, 65 2007-09-25 16:49 /dev/ttyS1
crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 66 2007-09-25 16:46 /dev/ttyS2
crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 67 2007-09-25 16:46 /dev/ttyS3
crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 68 2007-09-25 16:46 /dev/ttyS4
crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 69 2007-09-25 16:46 /dev/ttyS5
crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 70 2007-09-25 16:46 /dev/ttyS6
crw-rw----  1 root uucp 4, 71 2007-09-25 16:46 /dev/ttyS7

        Also, depending on the application I often create the link 'ln -s
/dev/ttyS1 /dev/modem' to help the older software out....

David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC
510 Ochiltree Street
Nacogdoches, Texas 75961