Fri, 28 Sep 2007, by [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> > I'v also setup an 'ftpadmin' group for this user.
> >
> > > there be any permission issues if I do that? Will the permissions be
> > > preserved? Some need 777, others 666, others 600.
> >
> > The vsftpd I admin chowns incoming files (for virtual users) to UID
> > 'virtual', GID 'virtual'. Every 5 mins a script runs on the files to
> > chown them to 'ftpadmin', so this user can move or delete them.
> > The permissions are not changed.
>
> Disaster.
>
> I changed htdocs to ftpadmin:ftpadmin. I can now ftp perfectly. Alas, I can
> now see none of my pages via http.

The group owner can still be www, as usual.
But you also need to make sure that 'others' can read the files, so
the directory's permission has to be 755 minimum, and the files 644.

> Who owns what? Can't Apache serve from whoever owns htdocs?

Depends on the permission bits, the Apache process owner (wwwrun)
has to be able to read the files and, in case of e.g. PHP, to
execute.

HTH, HANW

Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven    Registered Linux user# 99872 http://counter.li.org
ICBM 52 13 26N , 4 29 47E.     +      ICQ: 277217131