> > Disaster.
> >
> > I changed htdocs to ftpadmin:ftpadmin. I can now ftp perfectly. Alas, I
> > can now see none of my pages via http.
>
> The group owner can still be www, as usual.
> But you also need to make sure that 'others' can read the files, so
> the directory's permission has to be 755 minimum, and the files 644.
>
> > Who owns what? Can't Apache serve from whoever owns htdocs?
>
> Depends on the permission bits, the Apache process owner (wwwrun)
> has to be able to read the files and, in case of e.g. PHP, to
> execute.

Hi
Getting nowhere.

I created a user ftpadmin and a group ftpadmin. I made ftpadmin's home
folder /srv/www/htdocs

everything under /htdocs is owned by ftpadmin:ftpadmin

I can now ftp remotely to the /htdocs folder. No problem

Having made these changes I can no longer see any web pages.

What do I need to do to be able to both ftp and see webpages? Who has to own
what?

Cheers and thanks for your patience.