This is the version where you wish you WERE dreaming or at least leave all
the mess behind you after exiting the cinema...

The actors:

- Fujitsu-Siemens Primergy 470 (Dual P3-800, Mylex Raidcontroller
(DAC960PRL) with Hardware RAID5 on three SCSI hdd, currently running with
Suse Linux 10.0, file system reiser 3)

- OpenSUSE 10.3 DVD 32bit

- one happy sysadmin who successfully tested that the installation dvd
recognised the raid and didn't scream any warnings up to the point where
the installation starts

Prologue:
The machine is rather old being from the last century, but as it is still
reliable and sufficient for the small environment, I would like to keep
it. I already decided to skip the installation of Opensuse 10.1 and 10.2
as there were ominous warnings from gparted during the update praparation
and the installation crashed mostly during install anyway.

So I was very happy, when Opensuse 10.3 didn't raise any fuss like
warnings "the partitions can not be changed, do you want to use them
unchanged?" or something like it.

Main story:
Overall I was rather impressed with the speed and ease of the upgrade. It
detected some unmaintained and non-upgradable packages which I expected
anyway. Some of the packages were not from the distro or even compiled
from source.
The actual package installation went without any problem, the sun was
shining, it was sunday and everything promised to turn into a great day.

That was when the nightmare slowly started. At the end of the installation
the system is prepared for the first start of the new OS. Suddenly a
warning appeared "mkinitrd failed" (or something like that). The
installation procedure wasn't impressed though, and the countdown for the
automatic reboot began. 10..9..8..7..6..

My eyes that were glued to the screen resetted and I hit the stop button.
 The countdown was stopped, phew. So, what to do now? No combination of
keys gave me a shell to intervene.

Finally, with a glum premonition of approaching desaster, I allowed the
system to reboot, lit a few incense sticks and did a little voodoo dance
to invoke the gods of luck. It didn't work, the booting system didn't see
any disks, panicked and finally crashed. The nightmare had arrived and had
the previously happy sysadmin firmly in his grip.

Was all data/configuration lost and had to be installed from backup? I
booted once again from the installation dvd, it seemed to recognise the
partition, so all data apparently wasn't lost. Then I tried to use the
rescue system to repair the boot configuration. The login prompt appeared
and I logged in as root. Well, at least I attempted to login. The only
reaction of the system was that it replied with a service error. So, no
login via rescue system.

Then I tried to boot from dvd and run the installed system. That resulted
in a nice little crash but no usable shell.

At that point I decided to take a timeout, eat something and think about
any further steps.

Half an hour later I began to investigate in earnest, meaning I grabbed my
Knoppix 5.2 dvd to see in what state the partitions currently were.
Booting from the Knoppix dvd went without a hitch. It showed all
partitions on the raid, and I could mount them without any problem. The
worst of the nightmare slowly began to fade.

/boot resided on its own partition, and I immediately saw that indeed no
initrd had been installed.

So I installed 10.3 (minimal instalation) as a VM to get a working initrd.
Five minutes later I copied the initrd on my server and rebooted.
Lucky, the initrd was accepted, unfortunately it didn't find my raid.

Okay, I thought, let's configure the initrd to include the necessary
modules. That was when I discovered that the minimal installation did not
have vi nor any other editor, not even less. Even a manual execution of
mkinitrd with the list of modules to include only gave a list of missing
modules errors.

I scrapped the minimal installation and installed a standard KDE version
instead. 20 minutes later I had a working 10.3 in vmware with all the
niceties I was accustomed to.

Once again I booted the Knoppix dvd and looked up the exact list of
required modules in /etc/sysconfig/kernel. This time the new initrd was
created without error message. I copied the new initrd to the server (with
an usb stick) and rebooted.

Finally, the boot process showed my raid again, the installed system
continued the installation. Yatta! Happy little sysadmin is doing the
victory dance! The nightmare was over!

Or so I thought at least. When I began to check the various server
installations on the system I quickly noticed that the logfiles showed no
events after the reboot. What the heck is going on here? What use is a
server installation without the means to debug the services?

A restart of the syslog server only gave back that /var/run/syslogd.pid
was empty and the service had started. Of course it didn't start. :-/

Then I recalled that the newer versions of Opensuse had a new security
feature: AppArmor. So I deactivated Apparmor and rebooted the entire
system. And finally the logfiles were showing events again, also this
little message appeared:

type=APPARMOR_DENIED msg=audit(1191788249.506:39):  type=1503
operation="file_lock" requested_mask="k" denied_mask="k"
name="/var/run/syslogd.pid" pid=8055 profile="/sbin/syslogd"

Great, AppArmor hits again. :-((

So finally the real work could start. I will look into apparmor when I've
got time (translation: next year earliest).

Epilogue

The rest was business as usual after an upgrade: Apache2 didn't start
because a php.ini value in a vhost config wasn't allowed. MySQL didn't
start because of failed dependencies, apcupsd didn't work, the
policyserver had to be reinstalled, Squirrelmail wasnt installed yadda
yadda yadda.

Well, that is to be expected after an upgrade of a system with source
packages and a leap from 10.0 to 10.3. But that only took about two hours
to reinstall and debug those problems.

All in all about 7-8 hours of downtime before the system was up again and
the most important services were running. A lot of time for a system update.

At least the installation didn't ruined the file system with all the data.
Still, it provided me with some blood pressure elevation for some hours.

I can only recommend to have a Knoppix dvd present and better yet a test
installation on a less important system before you jump on the band wagon
of 10.3. It seems as if some raid controllers are still not correctly
supported by newer Opensuse installers, even though they are working
beautifully in older versions.

--
Sandy

List replies only please!