G T Smith wrote:
> ...NT user accounts are
> frequently dynamically created on the local machine on login and the
> account removed on logout, accounts and their settings exist on the
> network NOT the machine (I am unaware of anything similar on *NIX). The
> approach has its problems but works well enough...

After all the really good stuff you've contributed, this is a real
shocker, so maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying.

I worked in a facility a few years ago (late '90's) where there were
dozens of antique Suns, of the 10MHz Sparc, 128M RAM, 50MB disk variety,
and a few late-model, high-power machines.  We got a new sysadmin who,
within a few days, had us all set up with an nfs-shared central home
directory on a large, fast machine.  We could log in from anywhere in
the facility and have our own complete working environment, with all our
personal environment, file structure, and home-based programs.  I even
had him set up my machine (one of the slowest, smallest, oldest) to work
as an X-terminal to one of the largest, most powerful, but little used
machines, and the only difference between running my applications on the
Ultra and on my klunky little desktop was that my machine had only 256
colors available for display.

Doesn't this qualify as dynamically created on the local machine? and on
the intermediate machine? Solaris is unix, you're aware?

John Perry