Carlos E. R. wrote:

> The Wednesday 2007-10-10 at 13:15 -0500, suseROCKS wrote:
>
>> Thanks, I'll check them out.  Yes I am using Gnome, but not sure what
>> ally is.

a11y (not ally) is geek-speak for accessibility, like i18n is geek-speak
for internationalization. (Hint: count the letters :)

>>  I don't currently use any special devices.   For me its more
>> of a screen resolution issue.  Things simply don't work well under
>> 800x600 resolution, like Evolution, and there's so much tinkering I have
>> to do with fonts all over the place when I leave it at 1024x768.  Not my
>> desired resolution.
>
> In my ignorance, I have a question: wouldn't it better for you a larger
> resolution on a big, flat monitor, and then telling the system to use
> big fonts, or big everything, somehow?
>
> I know that an 800x600 resolution yields big fonts and windows, simply
> because the programs seem to use the same number of pixels, and they
> overflow the available space, sometimes without a slider to display
> everything; but wouldn't it be better a bigger display? Perhaps the
> problem is that big enough displays are too expensive.

Bigger monitors are better of course but there are limits, especially on
laptops. And setting the virtual screen resolution larger than the
physical screen resolution so that you can pan around to see different
parts of the screen can be useful in some circumstances. But adjusting
font size is usually the most important technique.

Carlos, you're correct that setting the screen to its full native
resolution and then choosing appropriate font sizes is the way to get
the best quality results. Sadly, it's a total pain in GNU/Linux.

What the user wants is a single 'knob' or 'slider' that increases the
size of all the fonts on the screen smoothly. Assuming the apps/graphics
designers made sensible choices for relative sizes with their good
eyesight, everything should scale reasonably well.

But the current user experience is that there are multiple places where
font sizes have to be adjusted, some just for individual applications,
and some applications have no means to adjust some of the fonts. It's a
real mess and has been so for far too long.

Setting a lower screen resolution is a simple way of sidestepping all
those problems and getting a usable display. But application and content
designers are increasingly assuming higher minimum resolutions - often
without any real need. They appear to think it's cool.

Cheers, Dave