On Tuesday 09 October 2007, Clive Rogers wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> On Tuesday 09 October 2007 03:56, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > The Monday 2007-10-08 at 23:49 +0100, Clive Rogers wrote:
> > > Has anyone found a way of stopping Kmail from locking the PC up ?
> > >
> > > I am running SuSE 10.2 (32 bit) on an Asus M2V-MX with 1 gig DDR2
> > > 533 ram with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+.
> > > Using a GeForce 7300 LE with 256 meg of ram on board.  2 IDE hard
> > > drives and a SATA DVD RW.
> > >
> > > Since updating my motherboard and CPU from an AMD 2400XP with 1
> > > gig of ram on a SIS chipset motherboard KMail locks up the PC.
> >
> > I'm not sure if I understand that you changed something in the
> > hardware setup; if so, then may kmail is just triggering a hardware
> > problem, like bad memory, for instance. You could check it with
> > memtest from the boot menu.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> >         Carlos E. R.
>
> I left memtest running over night and it came back with good memory.
> Yes I had to update my motherboard which in turn means I had to
> update my CPU and memory.  Doing this I did a re-install of OpenSuSE
> 10.2.  I then did the online update.
>
> This morning I found the PC again locked up but this time KMail was
> not running.  So I have another problem somewhere.

I have seen KDE locking up randomly every once in a while. The only
discernible pattern I've observed is that a Qt app needs to be running
and updating the display in one way or another. Mouse or keyboard input
on a Qt app can also cause this, which may also have to do with things
having to be drawn. Logs never catch anything. Total, dead freeze. I've
seen these on various hardware since SUSE 9.1. 8.1 and 8.2 were the only
SUSEs that never froze. I've never seen this happen on a GTK app. I've
used various graphics cards, motherboards, memory, X and ATI drivers.
No difference. Memtests etc. come out clean.

I've been thinking of going to GNOME or even another distro, but the
freezes have been quite rare and infrequent, so have not bothered. Maybe
when I upgrade hardware the next time.

Regards,
Tero Pesonen