On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 10:52 -0400, Kenneth Schneider wrote:

> > for several ways how to do it manually - perhaps you like it more
> > to add the users who should be allowed to scan to the "lp" group.
>
> This would seem to be a much simpler method especially for new comers.

> > > This did the trick, thank you very much.
> >
> > But the little drawback is that now scanning-frontends for root
> > will "see" the scanner twice. Once directly as "hpaio:..." and
> > a duplicate via the net meta-backend as "net:localhost:hpaio:..."
> > (compare the "scanimage -L" output as root and as normal user).
>
> True, but I very rarely login as root. Most of root's work is done
> through su/sudo. And the side effect is I should be able to scan using
> my laptop without having to be physically connected to the scanner. :-)

Verified, I am able to scan using my laptop with the scanner physically
attached to my desktop. And it was extremely easy to do using YaST.

I will say here that overall I am very impressed with 10.3. Sure I have
had a couple of problems, but they have been overcome with the help of
people on the list.

Hooray to the openSUSE developers.

--
Ken Schneider
UNIX  since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE  since 1998