1) openSUSE Updater (Gnome)
In preferences I've tried to check both "include optional patches" as
well as "include 3rd party updates". The updater works, but .....

How to see the details which updates are installed, confirm and possiby
uncheck unwished updates, as well as seeing the elapsed time bar?

2) YOU (Gnome)
The new YOU interface includes recommended patches and optional updates
(not more than the Updater does as far as I can see).

How to check for and upgrade to other, newer software versions for All
Packages?

So far in 10.3 as a workaround I've had to install and login to a KDE
session instead, to do what previous worked in Gnome as well:
YaST2>Software>Online Update
Package menu>All packages>Update if newer versions are available

--Terje