Sorry for the barrage of Compiz questions,

         But I have to ask one more. I have 16 small desktop icons in the
taskbar with compiz running. They are directly related to the ccsm ->
desktop -> General Option -> Desktop Size settings. The behavior of
these setting does not make complete sense.

        Currently I have "Horizontal Virtual Size" set to 4 and "Number of
Desktops" set to 4. (Yes, I can multiply) What does not make sense is
that the icons in the taskbar tell you they represent desktops 1-4
(sequentially), and then you have 12 more "desktop 1" icons that follow?
Huh?

        Setting "Number of Desktops" to 1 eliminates the 12 other "desktop 1"
icons, but then just leaves you with 4 "desktop 1" icons. Setting
Horizontal Virtual Size to less than 4 simply reduces the number of
sides on your Desktop Cube accordingly. Horizontal Virtual Size = 1
eliminates the desktop cube altogether.

        What seems to be an unintended feature or bug occurs when you use the
title bar context menu to "Move to Another Workspace". For some
applications, Firefox in particular, moving the application seems to
send it to oblivion never to be seen again. This all may be as intended,
or it may be a bug in the interchange between the kde "move to desktop"
and the compiz "Move to Another Workspace".

        For the compiz gurus, Is this how things are supposed to work, or does
this look like something I need to file as a bug? I don't know enough to
know, but I am happy to help and file the report if one is needed.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC