Aniruddha wrote:
> When trying to upgrade my system trough 'openSUSE updater' or the '#
> zypper update -t package' command I get the following error:
>
>> 2 Problems:
>> Problem: No valid solution found with just resolvables of best
>> architecture. Problem: Cannot install wesnoth-data-base, because it is
>> conflicting with wesnoth-data

this is an overview of all dependency problems found by the solver

>> Problem: No valid solution found with just resolvables of best
>> architecture. With this run only resolvables with the best architecture
>> have been regarded. Regarding all possible resolvables takes time, but
>> can come to a valid result.
>
>> Solution 1: Make a solver run with ALL possibilities.
>>  Regarding all resolvables with a compatible architecture.
>> number, (r)etry or (c)ancel>

This is a proposal how to cope with the first problem. This currently
sucks a bit, since you can't skip some of the problems to see if the
other solutions solve also these. We will a (s)kip possibility here soon.

> The easiest solution would be to delete wesnoth-data, but since I am

Yes, and that is actually what you will be proposed after you get rid of
the above prompt (currently only by choosing 1).

> here to learn I wonder what other ways does openSUSE offer to handel
> dependency conflicts? And what is a 'solver run'?

The solver == the dependency resolver. You select packages to install,
zypper calls the solver to check for dependencies. If there are dep.
problems, solver proposes solutions, you choose one (currently for each
of the problems, but you will be able to skip some in the future) and
then zypper calls the solver again (makes another solver run).

Other ways to handle dependency conflicts == use the other command line
package managers or use the graphical ones e.g. YaST Software Management
(uses the same (libzypp) solver as zypper BTW).

Of course you could use the rpm itself (like you could use dpkg in
debian), but that can be quite problematic.

Jano