Dennis E. Slice wrote:
> I am helping someone learn about computers who wants to use Google
> Earth. I am unfamiliar with the program, but a linux .bin downloaded and
> seemed to install cleanly. Starting it, however, only produces a Splash
> Screen, an "Intializing" message in the toolbar, and massive amounts of
> unending CPU usage.
>
> Are there any secrets to get this to work?
>
> Is it supposed to open a browser or something? Not at all sure what to
> expect.
>
> IBM Thinkpad T41
> SUSE 10.0
> Firefox 1.5.0.6 (if it matters)

It's always worked perfectly for me right out of the box so to speak. I don't
remember what version the suse distro was at when google earth first came out,
but I do remember that I've run it on 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3 -

It does require that your video drivers are working properly however - IIRC
you must have GL support. It runs well for me with intel video or with the
nvidia video and drivers.

Perhaps the venerable suse 10.0 is too old to support google earth, or perhaps
you don't have video drivers with the proper GL support.

Joe