On Sunday 28 October 2007 00:42:23 Zoltan Levardy wrote:
> dear list members,
>
> i am going to install 10.3 x86-64 on ibm thinkpad z61m. I would like to
> ask any thinkpad gurus, is there anything i should worry or care about?
> Because of  i am quite not sure how the "ThinkVantage" stuffs are
> "hidden" on the buildin harddrive. It would be nice to keep those things
> and do not want to lose my backups made from win xp. So, i am looking
> for partitioning hints....
>
> many thanks,

        I recently bought a old T30 thinkpad which had win XP on a 20GB drive.
Don't
know if this is correct method as to what followed but it worked for me. I
swopped the 20GB for a blank 120GB hard drive. I installed WIN XP on it
telling the the install setup to use 40GB. For the validate/Licence code I
used the number that was on a sticker under the laptop. XP seems so far to
run OK. ThinkVantage files/programs are available for download of the IBM
site.
        Note. If you want to use your existing hard drive. Make sure you
defragment
it first under windows. (I usually do a 2 or 3 runs of this, might be
overkill?)
        Going back to installing 10.3. During the setup, you'll be presented
with
what the installation is going to do. eg programs, desktop gnome/kde etc.
there is one for partitioning which may say something like remove windows and
create and format alternative partitions. Click the word partitioning which
will be underlined and select custom partition setup, click next and select
custom partitioning for experts.
This will give you a table of how your hard disks are currently setup. In your
case I would think there is only one entry, for XP. Select resize (it will
show how much is used by XP) Resize to a figure that will leave XP running
comfortably for the forseeable future.
        It now depends a bit as to how much free space you have. If you only
have 5
to 10GB then perhaps the easiest option would be to create a swap drive of
1GB and a root partition for the rest. If you have a lot more. then create a
primary root partition thats designated as / of about 5 to 8GB (Always done
for me) depends on how many programs you'll be installing. Then a extended
swap file partition (the swap drive I've been told is better/more efficient
if it's placed in the middle of the disk, that's so the heads don't have to
travel as far. Could be wrong theory but it's not done any harm for me yet)
and then create a extended /home partion on whats left. In the /home all your
docs and personal settings will go. The partition table display might show a
small partion for thinkavanatage stuff, I'm not sure but if it does, leave it
there for XP. The root partition will have to be created as a primary
partition for booting up reasons.

Hope that helps.  I'm Not a  thinkpad guru by the way.

Peter C