Mr Banana wrote:
> I've been a fan of SuSE since version 7 but I'm really scratching my head
> with 10.3. This is the
> worst release for "just not working" on my Thinkpad T60p. I was able to get
> 10.2 working OK with a
> bit of tweaking but I'm astounded at how broken 10.3 is. I've tried very hard
> to get compiz working
> (beryl worked with 10.2) but it has eluded me so far with 10.3. I've
> installed the latest versions
> from the repositories but without a working window manager (and kwin is only
> marginally better than
> compiz) or a version of seamonkey that doen't hang every few minutes (this is
> the 3rd edit to get
> this sent out) I'm dead in the water.
>
> What the hell has happened here?
I have a T60p with OpenSUSE 10.2 on one partition and 10.3 on another.
Both just installed w/o my having to do much of anything except take the
defaults.  However I am still using 10.2 for everyday use and have not
switched to 10.3 yet.  I'm waiting for the end of the month when
(supposedly) the new fglrx driver comes out from AMD/ATI.  That driver
is supposed to support the FireGL cards and AIGLX.

As to Compiz/Beryl .. you have more courage than I.  When I've toyed
with it on a desktop with an NVidia card I found it worked well but ATI
cards have been another story.

       - Bruce