Hans van der Merwe wrote:
> This is what I gathered from a Windows web developer who has just
> switched to Linux.
>
> ---
> Anyone know why there is nothing close to tortoiseSVN for Linux?
> Sure IDEs have plugins; eSVN, RapidSVN, KDEsvn, etc exist, but none come
> close to the feature set of tortoise.
> ---
>
> This is his words - what do you think?
>
> (I personally dont use svn clients - we use proprietary stuff at work
> (because OSS is viral you know, no really! thats what people believe
> here))
>
> Later
> Hans
>

> E-mail Disclaimer
> http://www.sunspace.co.za/emaildisclaimer.htm

Eclipse has a useable SVN plugin for windows and linux is about all I
have experience of use for a graphical frontend...

Do not know tortoiseSVN as something to use but looking at the spec all
it supplies is an IDE independent component for explorer, which I do not
really think of as a feature (more an accident waiting to happen :-) )
which on its own would put me off.

It is backing on to the standard subversion server, so functionality
should not be much different and IDE integration is probably more
effective for the developer.

Depends what features he is looking for really... If you are managing a
number of svn repositries one would require tools administer who has
access to what, but I would not think these changes would happen often
enough to warrant investment in specific toolset.

The basic command line client is usually good enough for me.... and if I
want to something clever I would just bash something together :-)

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup