* Kevin Dupuy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [10-31-07 19:05]:
> I'm having trouble wit Gtkpod 0.99.10, and I'm trying to install an
> independent RPM of Gtkpod 0.99.8 (or whatever).

first things first  :^)

You need to use rpms build for your distro and version or you will
cause yourself much grief and may break your system.

there is gtkpod available for 10.3 (you didn't indicate arch)

commandline:> webpin -d 10.3 gtkpod
  * gtkpod: A platform independent GUI for the Apple? iPod?
    - 0.99.10 [suse-oss{ppc} | packman{src}]
    @ http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.3/repo/oss/suse
    @ http://packman.iu-bremen.de/suse/10.3

I did not look at the difference

> I downloaded the file and double clicked on it, but it appeared it
> wanted me to extract the RPM package.

well, you cannot install software *unless* locally, ie: in your home
directory.  You need to be root.

> Since I know that's not what it's supposed to do, I right clicked and
> selected "Open with Install Software".

well rpm packages are not by themselves executable, they consist of a
package of files to be installed by another program.

> It appeared to start loading all the repos, then closed the window.

it opened the file/package and decided that it was not capable of
handling the operation and closed.

> How can I install these RPMs on SUSE with a GUI? Do I need to use the
> command line?

as root

rpm -i <package-name.rpm>

or better as you would not want two versions of the same package
installed (if it accidentally was possible)

rpm -Uvh <package-name.rpm>

or better yet especially with regard to your apparent comfort level,
use YaST2 to find and install the package for you, again root
privileges are required.

clear as mudddd????

- --