On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 08:39 +0300, Ronald Nsubuga wrote:

> Hullo,
>

> Joseph Loo wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 17:14 +0300, Ronald Nsubuga wrote:
> > Hullo,
> >
> > I have a problem with automount using rcautofs which is generating an error
> > message
> > <snip>
> > Starting automount startproc:  exit status of parent of
> > /usr/sbin/automount: 3
> >                                                                       failed
> > </snip>
> >
> > So i googled and couldn't find a solution off the net BUT whe i edit the
> > auto mount files
> >
> > e.g /etc/auto.misc I see CDROM specified i opened up this for USB drives
> > *removable       -fstype=ext2            :/dev/hdd*
> >     /etc/auto.master i included the file /misc  /etc/auto.misc
> >
> > And at this point when i run *rcautofs start* it returns positive results!
> >
> > <snip>
> > rltashk:~ # rcautofs start
> > Starting automount                                                    done
> > rltashk:~ # rcautofs status
> > Checking for service automount
> > running
> > </snip>
> >
> > Am wondering how I can achieve a quick way of fixing this
> >
> > I will be grateful and thanks
> >
> > Could you tell me what rcautofs is?
> > I use autofs all the time to mount my home directory without any
> > problem.
>
> thing is i have been using the rcautofs to start the deamon like it works for
> other packages like rcapache2 etc ...
>
> BUT for this particualar one it doesnt start the deamon. problem is USB
> drives and memory sticks anything that uses the USB ports
> BUT fro CDROM moment i drop it in it can be read.
>
> When i start it that the error i get.
> <snip>
> rltashk:~ # ls -la /etc/init.d/autofs
> - -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3126 2007-10-30 15:22 /etc/init.d/autofs
> rltashk:~ # locate rcautofs
> /usr/sbin/rcautofs
> rltashk:~ # /etc/init.d/autofs status
> Checking for service automount                                        unused
> rltashk:~ # /etc/init.d/autofs start
> Starting automount                                                    done
> rltashk:~ # /etc/init.d/autofs status
> Checking for service automount                                        unused
> rltashk:~ # /etc/init.d/autofs start
> Starting automount startproc:  exit status of parent of /usr/sbin/automount: 3
>                                                                       failed
> /snip>
>
> > Just out of curiosity did you uncomment in  /etc/auto.master auto.misc?
>
> Yes i did in both files in auto.misc i did for the removable and and in
> auto.master i uncommented out the misc.
>
> I realized when i was updating the packages database and had to comment them
> as they were before.
>
> having edited this file am I in danger?
>
> - --
> Best Regards
> Ronald Nsubuga.

First you should be addressing this to the mailing list and not to me
directly. I am running opensuse 10.3 and rcautofs does not exixt on my
system at all. I do not understand what you are talking about. I did a
man rcautofs and id does not shown up nor is it in my /sbin.

I usually start autofs up by doing

/etc/init.d/autofs start

It looks like you have not installed the drivers properly. I would first
suggest that you start posting the /etc/auto.master and /etc/auto.misc
files first.

another thing you are asking about the memory stick aut mounts. You
again need to mention which desktop. I run gnome and it automounts the
various items with no problem.

Which version of opensuse are you using?

--
Joseph Loo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]