On 2007/11/01 19:52 (GMT+0200) Stan Goodman apparently typed:

> I do not know how you got the log file to get all that detail. The one I have

All that detail is because I have more partitions than you. Otherwise,
they're the same output, with mine reduced somewhat by manual editing.

> is much simpler, even allowing for the  fact that my hardware is much simplet
> than yours. Given its size, I think it's OK to just post it here. Here is the
> file:

>  P-Geo Disk 1 Cyl : 16383 H: 16 S:63  Bps:512   Size : 0x09962B80 = 78533.4
> MiB
>  Geometry D1 from : LVM info (DLAT) sector at 0x3e
>  L-Geo Disk 1 Cyl : 10011 H:255 S:63  Bps:512   Size : 0x0996055B = 78528.7
> MiB
>  BIOS Int13 limit : 1024, I13X support needed beyond : 8032.5 MiB
>  MBR crc 054b4eb9 : 0x0c8ca699 = DFSee generic MBR, English messages, I13X

> DFSee  OS/2  9.02 : executing: fdisk -r-
> +---+--+-----------------+--+--------+--------+-----------+----------+--------+
> |ID |Dr|Type, description|ux|Format  |Related |VolumeLabel|LVM Volume|Size
> MiB|
> +---+--<disk  1></dev/hda   >--------+--------+-----------<[ D1 ]
> >--------+
> |01>|  |Prim 0a IBM-BMGR | 2|BMGR    |LVM     |I13Xneeded |., BootMan|
> 7.8|
> |02 |  |Log  82 SunS/SWAP| 5|SWAP    |LinuxV1 |SWAPSPACE2 |, LinuxSwa|
> 502.0|
> |03 |  |Log  83 LinuxNatv| 6|XFS     |Linux   |           |SuSE, SuSE|
> 50007.0|
> |04*|  |Log  83 LinuxNatv| 7|EXT2    |GRUB    |           |SuSE v10.2|
> 7.8|
> |05 |  |FreeSpace Logical|  |-- -- --|-- -- --|- - - - - -|          |
> 21987.4|
> |05*|C:|Log  07 Inst-FSys| 8|HPFS    |IBM 4.50|ECS        |eCS v1.1, |
> 1004.0|
> |06 |D:|Log  35 Warp-LVM | 9|JFS     |IBM 4.50|           |OS/2 Apps,|
> 1506.1|
> |07 |H:|Log  35 Warp-LVM |10|JFS     |IBM 4.50|INFO       |Info, Info|
> 2502.3|
> |08 |W:|Log  35 Warp-LVM |11|JFS     |IBM 4.50|DATAFILES  |DataFiles,|
> 1004.0|
> +---+--+-----------------+--+--------+--------+-----------+----------+--------+

> Despite what the heading says, I HAVE registered it, but not yet put the key
> file in -- I am leaving the country in three days, and am panicked with things
> left to do, which is why this could not have happened at a worse time.

> Jan has explained to me that DFSee calls ALL disks e.g. "hda" rather than
> "sda", because it doesn't see the interface anyway. I did not ask him what
> happens in a system with both serial and parallel HDs.

When run from Linux, DFSee can easily tell the difference between PATA and
SCSI, but I'm not sure about telling the difference between SATA & SCSI.

> If I have misunderstood your instructions, please give me more detailed ones,
> and I will follow them as well as I can.

This was close enough, except that you didn't include /etc/grub.conf.

I don't know what went wrong with the install, or what is wrong now. What
first I'd do if it was here would be to delete ID 4 and immediately recreate
it as 200MiB instead of 7.8MiB. Kernels and initrds have gotten so large that
such small /boot partitions are not safe at upgrade time, or certainly if
wanting multiple kernels and/or initrds to be available. The RedHat/Fedora
installer will scream and holler at so small a boot partition, recommending
at least 75M be allocated to it. I used to allocate 78M for /boot, but now do
200M.

Anyway, after recreating it, you need to rescue boot or boot a Linux live CD
and run resize2fs on /dev/sda7 to enable access to all of its new size. After
doing that, I'd try a rescue boot mode attempt to reinstall grub, either
--batch using the /etc/grub.conf file, or manually from the grub prompt. If
that wouldn't work, I'd do a reinstall.

Because you have so much freespace, it would be prudent to use some for a new
ext3 partition to use from a rescue boot to copy all of /home. That way you
could do an install from scratch of either 10.2 or 10.3. Ext3 is accessible
via an OS/2 boot by using the ext2 driver from Hobbes. AFAIK, neither XFS nor
ReiserFS have OS/2 drivers, and certainly Linux LVM does not.

If I was starting nearly all over, I'd first back up /home as above, then
delete all linux partitions except the /home backup. Then I'd make the
logical first Linux partition a *primary* ext2 of 200M, next a logical swap
(sda5), then a much smaller root (sda6, minimum 4G, up to maybe 10G, more if
you're a developer), then permanent /home (sda7).

I'm not sold on the idea that any other type is better than ext3 for the
average user.

Also because you have so much unallocated freespace, you could easily
allocate 4-10G for another SUSE installation, which could be used as a rescue
system if nothing else. On future upgrades it could be a fallback when
installation malfunctions. Or like many do, always have two. Use the oldest
as the fallback reserve. When a new release comes out, upgrade the older,
using the previous newer as the fallback. They're usually a lot easier than
"rescue" boots from CD/DVD.
--
"   A patriot without religion . . . is as great a
paradox, as an honest man without the fear of God."

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409