Michael Skiba wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 4. November 2007 12:21:54 schrieb Eberhard Roloff:
>> On a side note:
>> If I look at the packman mail dialogue that the OP cited, I come to
>> think that some people are crazy, to say the very least:
>> You reasonably cannot expect service levels, immediate support, security
>> policies and much more, anything delivered immediately and for free,
>> since this is Linux and therfore it needs to be for free...
>>
>> If you need such features, you either need to use an enterprise
>> distribution and pay for what you get or you better stay with Windows,
>> where you get what you deserve. ;-)
>
> Afaik his needs are satisfied, however he (and that's a very good behaviour
> imho!) needs to know the facts to give his customers (honest) advices. I'd be
> happy to have such a salesman whose advices I can trust.
>
> He asked a clear and polite question(he also revealed his honest motivations
> to ask such a question), so I actually think the reply on the Packman ML is a
> bit overreacted (at least the first one). It's not the problem that we'd
> expect a 100% secured repo - but he wanted to get the facts straight to give
> rational advices - and I think that's ok.

It definitely is, and I fully agree with you.

Only from time to time, I wonder whether some people's expectations are
set justly.

Imho especially in the open source field, some people occasionally
confuse free software (as in free speech) with free services (as in free
beer), and imho it simply does not work like this.

If you are in need to get a salesman "like this" whose advice you can
trust, just let me now.

regards
Eberhard