Dňa Wednesday 31 October 2007 11:22:38 Istvan Gabor ste napísal:
> Hello:
>
> This might be a little bit offtopic.
> I do not want to offend anybody at openSUSE and don't want
> to be rude but I think openSUSE could not make a decent
> package manager since 9.3 or 10.0. Even in 10.3.

I'd like to point out that slowness of the package manager was one of the top
complaints about pre-zypp era ;-)

> These are the reasons why I don't use YAST package manager:
> - YAST package manager is extremely slow.
> - Furthermore why does it have to refresh all repositories if you
> want only remove or check something?

Remove - see the discussion in the archive. Basically, removing something
might mean installing something else.
Check - this is way to unspecific. I agree that 'zypper info' might be
optimized a bit.

> - You still can't change the order how repositories are
> processed (discussed elsewhere).
> - I am lost in the several options: online update, automatic
> online update, software repositories, community repositories,
> add on product etc. Who can follow this? And all of them after
> starting always refreshes and refreshes...

Everything related to packagemanagement in YaST always initializes libzypp and
its repos. You have a point about mess in the software management section of
the YaST control center.

> - In the software manager takes forever to switch from one
> package group to the other.
> - In 10.2 the software manager always downloaded all the
> different package descriptor language files (xmls?) further
> slowing down refreshing. (I did not checked if it had changed in
> 10.3)
>
> For this reason I use smart package manager. It's search
> function not as good as yast's but:
> - much easier to switch on and off repositories

What's wrong with 'zypper mr' ?

> - one can choose by hand which repositories and when to
> refresh

Just turn off autorefresh for all your repos and call zypper refresh manually.

Stano