Johannes Nohl wrote:
I guess you perform
all the updates and the prob seems to disappear (at least it did so in
my case!).

I don't think so. Which version are you using?

# rpm -q openssh
openssh-4.6p1-58.1

Could it be related to unauthorized logins? There are some in the log
but not all the time while I tried to login. Btw. "# ssh localhost"
delays, too.

frustrating.
Hi,

Yep, mine is the same openssh version (openssh-4.6p1-58.1). I checked my logs and yes there are some ssh login attempts but nothing that would cause the delay. I also fiddled with both firewall up and down and same problem. My problem with the lengthy ssh login time (it could just be coincidence??) seems to have disappeared after I did a couple of Yast2 updates (including the new kernel 2.6.22.9-0.4-default). Now ssh seems to be back to normal as it was in 10.2. I agree - it was very frustrating there for a while. Not sure if it makes a diff but my system is a dual amd64x2 and I used the opensuse x86_64 dvd. I also made sure that the dns lookup and reverse dns were setup and working properly (basically identical as in 10.2) but again no joy. Rgds. Otto.